We recently started using a new History curriculum and love it! The boys are learning about Viking Victories on Minecraft Homeschool. They are on their 2nd week and we are all DELIGHTED! Minecraft Homeschool hopes to add Writing, Mathematics and Science classes by Fall of 2014.
Based on our experience thus far, this is a program that will be here to stay, at least for my older boys
What I LOVE about Minecraft Homeschool
- You can’t log into their server to build on Minecraft without completing the assigned reading and taking & submitting the quiz.
- The teachers are VERY accessible and have answered all of my questions.
- The boys get extra credit for doing some of the work with other students. They are definitely learning to work in teams, a skill that they will surely need in the workforce and in life.
- The program is VERY well structured and organized! This makes it so much more enjoyable for them and easier for me!
- The learning material is engaging and includes lots of images and videos!
- The way the program is set up is teaching the boys planning skills, project management and meeting deadlines. This is one of my favorite skill to have them learn. It is one they will need fof college and beyond!
- They interact with students around the country and some from around the world.
- The rules are very strict, keeping the environment safe and productive for each child (I still monitor their use and who they are chatting with on the server)
- The boys’ LOVE Minecraft is a great incentive and makes it a great learning tool and motivation to get through the week’s work!
Challenges I Have Encountered
- Not as suitable for a 6/7-year-old as I expected. The site says a child as young as 5 can take the class. Children are different and each family has their own dynamic. With a new baby and 6 kids in the home I had to give my 7-year-old too much assistance. This made it unrealistic for him to use the program. He was also not too interested in the reading or even the videos. They were all too long for his attention span.
- You only need one Minecraft account and can have children share. I found it easier to have them each have their own. This was an extra expense I was not planning for.
- The lessons are very meaty and the homework a bit lengthy. I DON’T think this is a negative right now. It is definitely requiring the boys to plan ahead and plan out their week more!
The boys have learned so much and this new History program has enriched our homeschool. I am already looking forward to and planning for their next class! Check their site out! The next classes start February 24th!
We are BLESSED to have found Minecraft Homeschool!!